Friday, June 4, 2010

Hohoe to Lakite - Day 284

Date: May 29th, 2010
Distance: 28km
Country: Ghana

Boy did I sleep in today. I just couldn't get out of bed this morning. When I finally did, it was lunchtime. I checked out and had a pretend brunch in town (rice and sauce).

After getting some food in me, I headed out to Wli. That village is supposed to have the highest waterfall in West Africa. Worth the trip. The road out there was hell though. Rolling hills, and in the saddles the road was all broken up. So you couldn't even build up speed on the down slopes. Annoying. Also, the sign that says 13km from town is wrong. The turn to Wli is 13km from town. Wli is another 6km from that.

Once in Wli, I payed my ticket and headed out to the falls. I haven't been around that many white people in quite some time. There was what looked like a U.S. high school group of some kind. Plus a few other groups and couples. The falls really are inspiring. A bit taller than the one at Akloa, but fairly similar. I went swimming under the falls again. That is twice in three days. Not bad. By the time I got out everyone else had left. So I was able to get some great pictures without anyone else in them. Hehe. I guess there is also a hike up to the top of the falls, but it would be dark by the time I got up there. Oh well.

When I got back to the bike, I didn't think I was going to make it back to Hohoe. I knew the next day was going to be hard though, so I decided to see how far I could get. I made it back to the turn and saw the most beautiful compound I have seen yet in Africa. There was a little lawn with tiny bushes as a border. Inside was another lawn with palm trees. I stopped to talk with the owner, and it turns out it was a lodge as well. So I stayed the night there.

-Dravis

No comments:

Post a Comment