Friday, June 4, 2010

Yapei Queen - Day 289

Date: June 3rd, 2010
Distance: Ferry cruise
Country: Ghana
Song of the Day: Lake Fever - The Tragically Hip

I spent a better night on the boat. Still on a wooden bench, but this time I remembered to pull out my air mattress. It was even cool enought to pull out my sleeping bag liner. So that was just fine.

Again, not much to do. I did start talking with one guy. People here really do have a hard time believing you can ride a bicycle all that way. Back home, I don't think anyone would question if it was possibly, just the sanity of the person doing it. The guy also did have a pet monkey. Those things are so cool.

Later in the afternoon I started a conversation with another Ghanaian, Joseph. I guess he owns a entertainment and video production company. So I was asking about the equipment and editing he did. He of course asked about my trip. Eventually he invited me to have dinner with him and his sister. They were cooking up some of those yams the boat was filling up with. It was really good. The yams really do taste a lot like potatoes. The sauce Joseph made was really great too. People here really are friendly.

The ship arrived at Akosombo just an hour or so after dark. I was asking around for a good guest house in Akosombo, but everyone said they were expensive and the town was 10km away from the port. I could stay on the boat if I wanted. Another night on a wooden bench didn't exactly appeal to me, but it did seem like the best option. I also realized that the two passenger cabins were free. So I was able to snag one of those for the night. Yeah. The sweet life.

-Dravis

1 comment:

  1. Hey buddy. I'm impressed with your consistent frugality. I was talking with Alicia and she suggested that you've more than earned a night in a guest house. I thought that maybe you use this kind of thing to make it more challenging and find some extra adventure along the way. Do you feel much more self-confident these days after all the amazing stuff you've experienced? I know I'm impressed.

    ReplyDelete