Monday, June 14, 2010

Accra - Day 292

Date: June 6th, 2010
Distance: None
Country: Ghana
Song of the Day: Birthday Song - Ben Lee

My plan for the day was to head to the beach. Jarret had nothing better to do, so we headed out together. It took a while getting around the city by tro-tro (intra-city transport) and then doing a lot of walking. It was fun though. Jarret is a cool kid to hang out with. Finally we found the beach and I got to go swimming. Again, it is taking the time for the little joys that makes it all worth it.

After that Jarret and I were wandering around by the national stadium. It turns out they were having a free soccer match at the time. So we decided to watch that. It was part of the "Africa Women Cup" and we got to see Ghana crush Senegal, 4-0. The game did seem particularly hazardous as I think there were about ten players carried off the field. It was fun though.

From the game we wandered over to the Osu neighborhood. It was supposed to be the nice part of town. It was nice, but still West Africa. As in, beautiful modern buildings would be right next to tin roof shacks. The main road was paved but the side roads were still sand and gravel. Don't get me wrong here, Ghana is great. It is easy to travel and the infrastructure (water, power, internet) level is very high. If you are used to a western lifestyle you could live that way very easily here. It will still be apparent that you aren't in a western country though.

In the evening I did finally arrange a flight online. I am heading to Uganda on the 11th of June. I couldn't pay for it online though. I will have to head to the airport again tomorrow and pay for it.

-Matt

No comments:

Post a Comment