Monday, June 14, 2010

Addis Ababa to Kampala - Day 298

Date: June 12th, 2010
Distance: 46km (Also travel by plane.)
Country: Uganda

Woke up and ate the free buffet breakfast at the hotel. I never thought I would miss corn flakes that much. I wish I had more time but they kept telling me the bus was leaving.

Addis in the daylight still looked amazing. It was just like a modern city. Okay, one that still has cows being herded through town. I almost thought of canceling the part of the flight to Uganda and just biking down there. I just don't think I have enough time to do Ethiopia though. It apparently has an amazing history. I really wish I had gotten to see more of it.

I ended up getting through immigration and everything with 3 hours to spare. For a while I was sitting on the floor next to the bathroom and stealing power for my laptop. One of the guys who managed the business class lounge took pity on me and invited me in. They even had wi-fi.

Again, the plane trip itself was nice. They served lunch. I may be crazy, but I do tend to enjoy airplane food. I also had a seat by the window so I could watch the landing over Kampala. Again, I am amazed how modern everything looks.

On the ground, getting through immigration and customs wasn't a problem. I then spent a bit of time outside getting my bike back together. All the taxi drivers seemed to want to make some kind of comment about it.

The ride to Kampala was easy. I did hit the city just at rush hour though. Traffic is terrible. So far, my experience is that Ugandans are generally terrible drivers. I did find the hostel to stay at.

I also got to experience the local cuisine. They have a kind of fried bread called chapat. It is like a really thick crepe. Plus they had a few hot dogs fresh off the grill. (No buns though. I should have rolled it into a chapati.) My dinner also included a liter of fresh milk. Oh boy have I missed milk.

-Dravis

No comments:

Post a Comment