Monday, June 21, 2010

Lyantonde to Ndaiju - Day 304

Date: June 18th, 2010
Distance: 107km
Country: Uganda

Another day on the road. The day started out with some hills, but they gradually got smaller. I also seem to be losing elevation. That always worries me as I assume I will have to gain it somewhere else. I know Rwanda is supposed to be brutal on that front...

Had a big lunch of matoke and chicken. Matoke is basically mashed bananas. I must see at least half a dozen trucks every day loaded with bananas. Plus bicycles weighed down with them. So I guess when you have lots of bananas, you find lots of ways to eat them.

That is one thing I haven't gotten used to yet, banana farms. Or frankly farming of any sort. It was almost non-existant in west Africa. Just a few gardens in places. Here I can see plots divided up all through the hills. I don't know why it is more prevalent here. Maybe just better land use policies.

-Dravis

2 comments:

  1. That's really interesting. From the sounds of it, the quality of life is dramatically better in Uganda than the countries in West Africa you visited. Chicken or egg? Farming makes life better or better life means more farming? Politics? I'm fascinated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is a lot of chicken and egg stuff here. Is it that they have better land use policies here because of farming, or do they have more farming because of land use policies? Also, critical thinking isn't taught much here. So most of the jobs are made simple so as not to need it. Then the people are trained that they don't need to think critically.

    It is fascinating.

    ReplyDelete