Monday, June 14, 2010

Accra - Day 296

Date: June 10th, 2010
Distance: None
Country: Ghana

I spent the day getting everything ready for the flight to Uganda tomorrow. First I had to find some cardboard for a box. Then take the bike apart. While taking the bike apart I found that the frame was busted. The chainstay is cracked all the way through near rear drop-outs on the drive side. ARGH!

At that point, it was time for lunch. (Never do any serious thinking without food.) I thought about sending the bike home and continuing by bus. I really wanted to finish a full year on the bicycle. Plus all my stuff is built for biking around. I have panniers for a bike. Even my clothes are made for biking. I decided to see if I could splint the frame somehow. I found a "U" shaped piece of metal and used some hose clamps to hold it onto the frame. That seemed to work, but I couldn't test it without putting the bike back together. I hope it works when I reach Uganda.

With that done, I did manage to wrap cardboard around the bike. Then wrapped tape around it all. It doesn't look pretty, but I hope it holds.

I also wanted to say goodbye to Jarret and give him the card with my blog and e-mail. I didn't see him before I left for Cape Coast. He said he was going to another hostel, so I went over there. It turns out Jarret was out, but I started talking with this girl Florence. Soon another guy, Dan showed up, and we headed up to the roof. It had a nice view of the city. The conversation was mostly about the oddities of traveling and living in strange places. Eventually Jarret showed up and joined us. We talked until past midnight. It was a nice way to cap off my trip to Ghana and West Africa.

-Dravis

No comments:

Post a Comment