Friday, June 4, 2010

Kpalime to Atakpame - Day 281

Date: May 26th, 2010
Distance: 106km
Country: Togo
Song of the Day: Young Pilgrim - The Shins

I woke up to a big thunderstorm. That actually made me happy because it means cooler temperatures. By the time I got on the road though the rain had pretty much stopped. Apparently they are working on the road because it is all torn up. With the rain that means mud. Lots of it too. I saw a big truck get stuck in one place.

After the first 30 km things got better. The road, while not great, wasn't torn up. I could go pretty fast if I avoided the frequent potholes. And the scenery was spectacular. Green jungle hillsides. Quaint little villages. Sometimes I really enjoy my life. If I could just get the little kids to stop screaming Yovo at me, that would be perfect.

I made it to Atakpame just after sunset. The last bit was hellish. Atakpame sits at the top of a steep hill. It had started to rain again as well. I asked around for a good cheap hotel. The first guys I talked to said to go to "Hotel Mary". After following their directions for a bit I asked again. It turns out they meant "Mairie" or the "Hotel de Ville". So there I am, wet, tired, and it is dark, for some reason they thought the first place I would want to go is the mayor's office. Idiots. Fortunately the second guy I talked to got me all straightened out and checked in at a local hotel. Much better.

-Dravis

No comments:

Post a Comment