Monday, July 5, 2010

Kabale - Day 307

Date: June 21st, 2010
Distance: None
Country: Uganda
Song of the Day: The Fix - Minus the Bear

I did finally get my bike fixed this morning. I did find the actual bike mechanic in town. He had the right spline tool to remove my canister bottom bracket. (He even had a crank puller, but the threads on it were broken.) When I pulled out the bottom bracket it fell apart. Not only had the seals blown out on it, but the axle and bearings dropped onto the ground.

For a replacement they only have one cheap bottom bracket here. That is apparently what everyone uses. It worked okay on my bike, but usually the axle has a long side that goes on the drive side. Doing it that way pushed the chainrings out too far so the front derailer wouldn't work. Instead I have the long side of the axle on the non-drive crank. It seems to work okay, but it does push my left foot out an inch. I don't think that is a problem. I am pretty sure it will get me through the next few weeks.

-Dravis

No comments:

Post a Comment