Thursday, July 15, 2010

Mabara to Kigoma - Day 328

Date: July 12th, 2010
Distance: 85km
Country: Tanzania
Song of the Day: The Wanderer - U2

I am back on dirt roads for the time being. I am not excited about that. I am still up in the hills as well. I thought that would mean more downhills, but I am just riding from one ridge to the next. I got checked out of Burundi and into Tanzania. Country 29.

On the Tanzania side they are in the process of paving the road. Not that it helps me much. It is still just a dirt road, but now it has big dump trucks on it.

I was starting to go downhill a bit more. I really hate going downhill on dirt roads. I feel like I burn off most of my hard earned potential energy as excess break heat. In some section they had rolled the dirt out flat. I could zoom right over that like a paved road. Most of it was either gravel or dust. The dust is the worst. If you start skidding out you have to fight the urge to use your breaks. Instead you have to loosen up and hope that will keep the wheel from sinking in and turning. On the really steep sections that was quite nerve wracking.

About 15km from Kigoma the road becomes paved. That was perfect. I could really scream down the hills from there. I got into town just before sunset.

-Dravis

No comments:

Post a Comment