Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Zorgho to Fada-Ngourmo - Day 258

Date: May 3rd, 2010
Distance: 117km
Country: Burkina Faso
Song of the Day: Poets - The Tragically Hip

Another long day in the saddle. It has been a while since I have done two back to back 100+ kilometer days. Let me tell you, it isn't easy. After doing a long day yesterday, I was out of a lot of energy. The morning was a real struggle. Plus the wind wasn't helping. It was coming north while I was going east. Still, I pushed on. I was stopping every 20-30km for water or Coke. Sugar and caffeine really help you keep going.

Nothing much to see out on the road. The terrain has remained fairly flat. There isn't any really wildlife either. Lots of goats and cows, but nothing wild. It does seem that the trees are getting a bit more green though. I have lost the thorny trees for something a little more inviting. The ground is still parched red earth though. The red earth is the one common thing through basically all of west Africa. Maybe one of the geologists out there reading this could explain why...

In the afternoon I did get another cramp. This time it was my right calf though. I don't have a clue what is going on. It got worse when I would stop for a bit. Cranking that pedal would be excruciating for a time. Then after a little while the pain would dull and I could go on without too much trouble.

I did eventually get to Fada. James and Krista had given me a contact there. So I called up Matt and arranged to meet up. He lives on the edge of town, but gave me the key to Krista's weekend place that is more central. Afterward we headed out to a restaurant for dinner. We both had salad, which may sound wimpy, but is amazing after a hot day and needing 7 liters of water. I did need a bit more though. So I ordered a steak as well. It came with an onion sauce and a loaf of bread. The food was great, and not expensive. It pays to know a local.

Matt was also fun to talk to. I guess he has been here almost two years, and like me is looking forward to going home. He did have a few wild stories about the life and culture here. It was a lot of fun hanging out. Then the bill came. Actually we had to ask for the bill, and that is when things got complicated. It turns out the drinks came from the bar, the steak was from the kitchen, and the salads were from the lady next to the kitchen. So paying took two waiters and three different transactions to complete. It was the most complicated bistro math I have ever seen where it was the establishment that was screwing everything up. Sheesh. At least I was now well fed and ready to sleep.

-Dravis

1 comment:

  1. A bit belated, but frequently leg cramps are an indication of lack of Potassium in the diet. Any chance of finding some tubers, maybe potatoes?

    ReplyDelete