Friday, May 21, 2010

Cotonou - Day 275

Date: May 20th, 2010
Distance: None
Country: Benin
Song of the Day: Change Your Mind - The Killers

I woke up and it was pouring rain. So I went back to bed. I really didn't see a need to get up early to go out in miserable weather. Plus I do like sleeping in. I did have to wake up at some point though.

After the rain stopped I took Yovo for a walk. Also got a little better picture of the neighborhood around Liz's house. Yovo is actually really good to walk. She just follows me as I wander the sandy back streets. Unless of course she finds a fish head someone has tossed into the street. Then Yovo won't move until she has scarfed up every last bit. Yum. I also found a place where I could get some food for breakfast. There is one good thing about not having health codes here. No one seemed to mind that Yovo was hanging out with me in the little restaurant.

After breakfast I headed out to the immigration office. I still don't have an entrance stamp for Benin. I don't even know why I bother. It isn't like it affects me that much. I spent almost 3 hours there trying to get a stamp. They didn't have one somehow. I really don't understand that. If you are the head office there has to be one somewhere. They wouldn't give me one though. Finally after bugging them for a couple hours they told me there was no problem. I really didn't need a stamp anyway. Whatever guys. It is your rules.

Back at Liz's place I took Yovo for another walk. Then I went out to find my own dinner. By this time it was dark and had started to rain again. I found a little walk up cafeteria to get some spaghetti. At night, with the rain and the dirty streets of the city around me it felt like the opening scene of Blade Runner.

-Dravis

2 comments:

  1. when it's raining cotonou does completely feel like the opening scene from blade runner! never thought of it that way until now. hey hope all is well. i'm with internet so thought i'd drop a note. got to south africa alright. it's a mix of europe and africa, but very separate, it's fancinating. still trying to get a grip on it. hope the rest of your trip goes well.
    -melissa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you, guys, making fun of my "beautiful" city ?
    BTW, I love your blog... I can't wait to go back home by the end of the year. How is the pollution nowadays in Cotonou?

    Take care and be carefull and be safe.

    ReplyDelete