Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Cotonou - Day 277

Date: May 22nd, 2010
Distance: None
Country: Benin
Song of the Day: No Woman, No Cry - Bob Marley and the Wailers

One more day in Cotonou. The day was actually pretty boring. I did laundry.

The evening was better. Melissa invited me to dinner at this chawarma place. So I headed over there just before sunset. It was fun to see Melissa again. I guess she was heading to South Africa about an hour later for some medical stuff. (For you Americans out there, that is on your dime.) We also got to talk about plans for getting back. I guess she just got the date her service is up. She didn't seem to think there was anything wrong with the fact that most of my plans center on food. So it was fun. That food was good, too. I really wish I had turned around and ordered another chawarma though.

Instead I went out and found a street vendor who sold me some spaghetti. He asked me if I wanted red sauce or white. Thinking white sauce was probably cheese based, I ordered that. (I love cheese.) No, apparently blanc means without sauce. My mistake. Still it did quiet my hunger down a bit.

After that I headed over to the Artisan Center. Liz and Melissa both told me about it. Melissa was gone taking her plane, but Liz met me and we headed to the place. I guess one of the other PCVs knew a local artist who made masks. The artist had put together a party and asked for as many volunteers to come as possible. Apparently it was like a lot of parties in Benin. Lots of food, lots to drink and Reggae music that is too loud. It was a lot of fun though. For me, a nice way to cap off my trip to Cotonou.

-Dravis

No comments:

Post a Comment