Sunday, May 16, 2010

Natitingou to Djoubou - Day 266

Date: May 11th, 2010
Distance: 82km
Country: Benin

Well, it was another long day. That wasn't helped by getting a flat tire not 10km out of town. It wasn't a puncture though. A little hole was worn in the tube from a high spot on the inside of the tire. I guess the tubes are just cheap. The patch does seem to be holding, so that is good.

There are still a lot of hills in this part of the country. I think there are more descents that ascents though. Which makes sense. If I am up in the mountains and heading to the coast, I will eventually loose all that elevation.

The wind is still bothering me. Not too bad for the most part. It does make things harder though. There was a thick cover of puffy clouds in the morning. They did spread apart in the afternoon. So not much cover there.

I am impressed with Benin. The countryside is lush green and beautiful. It reminds me of some of the first training rides I did in the hills east of Seattle. It also looks like many of the small villages even have power. I see transmission lines running all over the place. It might just be here along the highway though. Still, I hope that a little electricity can empower the people here to get their economy to grow.

Arrived in Djoubou late in the afternoon. While looking for a hotel I got into a discussion with a guy who, like so many other people here, wanted to go to America. I do try and discourage people from that idea. It isn't that I think my country is only for the people there. It has more to do with the fact that the desire is such a childish notion. Everyone thinks that if they arrive in America they will get off the plane and be given a job and a big car. It is as if they have been led to believe the streets are paved in gold. Plus there is so much opportunity here for those people who know where to look. It doesn't seem to work explaining that to people though. It is a sacred dream that even common sense can't damage.

-Dravis

No comments:

Post a Comment