Saturday, May 1, 2010

Ouagadougou - Day 256

Date: May 1st, 2010
Distance: None
Country: Burkina Faso
Song of the Day: Use Somebody - Kings of Leon

Okay, I was supposed to take off today. Instead I slept in. Which was probably a good plan since James and I didn't get back from the airport until after 3:00 AM. So it felt good to sleep in until noon.

James, who somehow woke up hours earlier, came back around then. He had been running errands. He was going to help clean up what was left of the stuff in Rene's apartment. So I helped out with that. Mostly it was throwing things away, and putting all the clothing in a pile to be sold of at the local marche.

After the cleanup was finished, James took me out for some pork. This has been a rare commodity, as most of west Africa is Muslim. So it was a nice change of pace. James also invited a couple of girls who lived in Ouaga (pronounced Wa-ga). I think they were both Fulbright Scholars or something. So I had a good time telling them about my crazy trip and learning about what they were doing in Burkina Faso.

All too soon we had to leave though. James had a date with the girl he picked up at the bus station the day before. He was also hoping to get in a nap before leaving. (See, I knew you can't really work on that little sleep.) It didn't turn out that way. The water heater in the bathroom (I don't even know why that is necessary) was half falling off the wall when we got back. It turns out that it was only held on by a stupid plastic washer. So we had to run around and find a metal washers. While putting it up, one of the cheap hoses to the thing snapped and started spraying water everywhere. James had to run downstairs and shut off the water to the whole building. Still, we did get everything back together eventually, but there wasn't time for a nap at that point. Sorry man.

Still James was able to clean up and get ready for his date. Me, I went out and found a little dinner, before retiring early to work on this blog. James has internet at his place. Oh, how I have missed limitless internet. Okay, limited to 512kbps, but still. I hope you enjoy the updates.

-Dravis

No comments:

Post a Comment