Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Siena to Florence - Day 89

Date: November 15th, 2009
Distance: 70km
Country: Italy
Song of the Day: Love is a Long Road - Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers

Today I rode through the Chianti hills. It is beautiful country, but let me reiterate that it is hills. Just up and down a lot. The whole day was slow, slow, slow, slow, slow, INCREDIBLY FAST, slow, slow... I do like screaming down those hills, but the roads are very curvy. You have to be on your game. The turns are pretty tight sometimes, so not wiping out around the corners is a big plus.

It was a short day, so I got into Florence before sunset. Checked into the hostel and then went for a little walk. It was nice, but I have gotten fairly used to the cramped Italian cities. So it didn't seem like anything special. I had wanted to go to the Duomo and climb up Brunelleschi's dome. It is supposed to be amazing at sunset. When I got there, the cathedral was open, but the dome was closed though. I will have to do that tomorrow. That will be good, as it turns out that basically all the museums are closed on Monday.

Oh, I should mention that it is Sunday. Walking around the city I could smell all the cooking. It made me miss Sunday dinners with my folks back home. Probably because I am hungry all the time. My mom makes lots of wonderful meals, especially in the fall. I also miss just sitting around talking with the family. Come to think of it, I sort of miss just sitting. For this trip I am always doing something, or going somewhere. There is always something that needs to happen. I don't really have any time just to relax. Not that I want to head home now, but you do miss certain things when you are on the road. When I get back I am looking forward to a nice big Sunday dinner with the family.

-Dravis

No comments:

Post a Comment