Thursday, November 5, 2009

Chioggia to Ravenna - Day 79

Date: November 5th, 2009
Distance: 107.5km (in 5:10!)
Country: Italy
Song of the Day: Rearviewmirror - Pearl Jam

Today was much better. Left early and got onto the road. There was a bit of rain in the morning, but it only lasted 15 minutes. It wasn't that cold either. By the afternoon it had cleared off and was rather sunny.

I was making great time as well. The fixes to my bike have been a great improvement. I need to remember to get on a regular cleaning schedule...

Still on the same highway for most of the day. But the farther out I got the fewer trucks. So it was actually pleasant. Plus the last 20 kilometers I took a side route closer to the coast. I still couldn't see the sea from there either though. So I took a side path and got to see the Mediterranean for the first time. (I did see the Lagoon in Venice, but that doesn't really count. You can't say you saw a city because you had a layover at the airport.)

I even got into Ravenna at 4:30 PM. Plenty of time to spare. All the campings along the coast were closed. So I found a nice hostel in town. I even had a chance to fix the limits on my rear derailer. While I was at it I straigtened out my front derailer as well. So my bike is running great.

I was thinking of continuing along the coast for a bit, but I don't see the point. There really isn't anything to see. The roads don't go that close to the shore here. So I think I will head overland and try to get through Umbria down to Rome. Should be interesting with all the hills.

-Dravis

P.S.: Thanks to Jonn-E for suggestions from his recent trip to Italy. Also, because he mentioned some things from Venice that were too late. I am going to try and announce as far in advance as I can my plans so people can suggest things before I get there.

No comments:

Post a Comment