Saturday, November 21, 2009

Riomaggiore to Genoa - Day 95

Date: November 21st, 2009
Distance: 128km
Country: Italy
Song of the Day: Say it Ain't So - Weezer

I have never had a day that was more beautiful and miserable. The roads I was on were hell. An hour or two of steep climbs, then ten minutes of descent. All day long. This is one of the first hills I was climbing. That is a hell of an angle to be going at. I was in 1-1 most of the day.

I can't complain that much. The scenery was beautiful. Right along the coast above the Cinque Terre on the Ligurian coast. It was quite pretty, and sunny to boot. At least when there was a view. Most of the day was either in the trees or going so slowly that I was just staring at the road ahead. Still, I did get to see this little guy from staring at the road.

The roads would wind there way up into the mountains only to dive back down into the next town. Which begs the question, why go up in the first place? I still haven't figured that one out. Or, if the road engineers are bent on going up, why not choose a shallower angle? I know it must have been great for all the guys on the tiny road bikes going by swish-swish-swish. For me on my fat heavy touring cycle, it wasn't that fun.

I have also learned to love tunnels. In most cases that means you have reached the top and can begin zooming down again. I like that much better.

Ended the day like I began it, climbing. The hostel in Genoa is at the top of the hill. Figures...

-Dravis.

No comments:

Post a Comment