Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Training Day 3

So I didn't go out on Tuesday for a ride. I actually spent the afternoon fighting a tree in the back yard of my folk's house. So today I got out and finished the ride all the way out to Rattlesnake Lake. Even better I finally remembered to bring the camera and got some pictures. I think the next rides I do will be a little something different. Since I know I can get from here to Rattlesnake lake, I will find somewhere else to explore.

I wanted to go back to the end of the Preston-Snoqualmie trail as well. Partially this was to take a picture of the overlook of the falls from there. It isn't much, but I figured I should show what it looks like. I also wanted to find the end of the line so to speak.

I had seen the No Trespassing signs on my last time out there. I thought the gates were funny, in that they didn't actually prevent anyone from passing. The chain link fence only went down to the edges of the old rail bed. But I figured the trail stopped here because of some gap in the rail line. Either a section of the old grade had washed out, or, more likely, a trestle that crossed over a little valley had fallen apart.

So when I got there today, I decided not to let a sign stop me, and rode on. There was even a trail around the edge of the fence. It wasn't much of a trail mind you. Just a place where other scofflaws had beaten down the plants along what I thought was the old rail line. Frankly it was a bit hard to imagine that a railroad had gone through there in some places. Some of the trees along the path were really quite big. I also received a nasty surprise when the trail wandered through a patch of nettles. Frankly if they want people to stay out, just plant a bunch of those things around the gates. I almost turned around after that, but I had come to explore. I wanted to find the gap.

So ignoring the nettle stings, I did find my trestle. It wasn't in as bad a shape as I had thought. There were even some runners along the top that you could probably walk across on. Not that I would do it. I didn't think that my weight would bring it down, but it doesn't seem prudent to stroll across a bridge that is most likely condemned. Still the photos are pretty cool. When I uploaded them to Picasa I added a location for each one. When doing the locations for these two I was able to see the trestle on google maps satellite view. If you want to look at the pictures of my whole ride, they are here.

The ride: Issaquah, Preston, Snoqualmie, North Bend, Rattlesnake Lake.
Distance: 65 miles
Time: 5 hours 30 minutes (Not counting the time it took to stop for a burger and shake.)
Description: Again, this was pretty much the same ride I have been doing. But I rode to the end of the Snoqualmie Valley trail. Most of the trail from North Bend to Rattlesnake lake is a false flat. It doesn't look like anything, but it feels like riding through jello. It can also be really draining if you try and keep up at your normal speed. I know how steep the road up to the lake is from I-90, so this actually didn't feel bad at all. I must have gained a couple of hundred feet of elevation but it really didn't feel like it.

On the way down I was doing about twice the speed though. That is why I always try to ride uphill on the way out. This way I can ride downhill on my way back. I get to push myself harder that way, knowing that things will be a little easier on the way back.

When I got to the Reining bridge there were a bunch of teenagers drinking (Busch) and jumping off into the Snoqualmie river. According to them the best place to jump is about a third of the way along from the stairs. It did look somewhat tempting. Then again, I don't like jumping from heights. Heights I am fine with. (I was 60 feet in a tree yesterday.) I just don't enjoy jumping from them. But that cool water would have felt really nice. It was just as well. This ride took me all afternoon anyway.

I am still glad to know that I can surprise myself. With just a bit of work I was able to cover 65 miles. I know that isn't huge for professionals, but it feels pretty good to me.

-Dravis

No comments:

Post a Comment