Wednesday, July 8, 2009

The man with the plan

So as you already know, my big plan is to leave the country for a while. This will be my self-imposed exile. A return to a tough and simple vagabond existence. I intend to sell most of my possessions (anyone want a couch?) and leave with only what I can carry on two wheels. I am going to head out on an extended bike tour of the world.

But before that, I still have at least two things to do in the U.S. over the summer.

The first is a road trip from the New York to Seattle. I am flying out there on July 27th to meet two of my friends. From there we will meander across the country (possibly Canada as well) returning sometime around the 12th of August.

From there I will have a couple of days to prepare for the Rock'n Horse trail. This will be the first, but hopefully not the last, bicycle camping trips up the Iron Horse trail while blasting tunes out of a boom box. This will take place on Saturday August 15th and Sunday August 16th. I was hoping to make it through the Snoqualmie tunnel, but it looks like that is now closed. I am pretty bummed about that, as the tunnel was awesome and a real highlight of my trips along the Iron Horse. So instead I think we will be camping out at Denny Creek. This will also be my dry run for my world wide bike tour. I will be using the same gear, and testing everything out to make sure it all works.

That will give me a few more days before my flight out of the country on August 18th. Hopefully that will give me enough time to say my goodbyes and pick up any last minute supplies. I have no return ticket and am not planning to come back for quite some time.

From Seattle I will be going to Iceland for a week. I wish I had more time to bike around there. But I wanted to get to Europe before fall. From there I fly to London. I want to spend a bit of time touring England. Then cross the channel and bike through France, Belgium and the Netherlands. From there I will turn South. The plan is to bike South for the fall. But more on those plans to come later.

-Dravis

No comments:

Post a Comment