Saturday, July 4, 2009

Last Day

Today is the big day. It is my last official day at the large corporation I was working for. Since I learned that I was being laid off in May, I have been on "Paid Administrative Leave". I have very much enjoyed the time. They have been giving me money not to come into work or do anything at all. If only I could get that job on a more permanent basis. But alas...

So tomorrow I get to enjoy the wonders of being officially unemployed. It does seem fitting that they chose July 4th, Independence Day, to by my last day. I have no animosity toward them for laying me off. In fact it has been good. I didn't want to leave a job that I used to love and that paid quite well. But my projects had become much less fun and I didn't see any future for me there.

I have also come to realized that the classic notion of being paid for work is incorrect. People trade youth for money. Or as the man says "We're all just selling time". That is the thing that most people miss. Money does you no good if you don't have the time to use it. I have heard that the key to growing wealth is to "pay yourself first". People also need to learn to give time to theirself first. It is a valuable commodity, and I know that I didn't use it as much as I should have. So if you soul is fettered to an office stool, be careful to be guided by this golden rule, get out and enjoy!

-Dravis

No comments:

Post a Comment