Saturday, February 20, 2010

Whatzit - Part 1

I decided to start a new segment of the blog. I am going to post a picture of something, an animal, plant or anything I find interesting and haven't a clue what it is. So it is up to you guys to figure it out. For my part I will try to post a clear picture of the Whatzit and a description of where it was found. If you want to play along, post a comment. Extra points will be awarded for links to other sites describing the Whatzit.

Part 1 - Weird Bird
I saw this guy in northern Senegal about 50km south of St. Louis. I also saw two more flying around the next day 100km further south. It is about the size of a crow and has that long orange beak. Whatzit?

2 comments:

  1. Dravis,
    That whatzit looks to be a Red-billed Hornbill or "Tockus erythrorhynchus" from what I can get from your image and ones I found on Wiki.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red-billed_Hornbill

    ReplyDelete
  2. GAH! I Googled and Wiki'd "gray African bird with orange bill" and got NOTHIN. Red, orange, damn it!

    ReplyDelete