Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Dawra to Laayoune - Day 168

Date: February 2nd, 2010
Distance: 34km
Country: Morocco
Song of the Day: Last Stop: This Town - Eels

Jose and I got up at sunrise and broke camp. We were on our way pretty early. The wind though, which had abated during the night was also back. It wasn't a long ride but is was some of the most grueling work I have done. I don't know if it was the strength of the wind, or maybe the fact that I knew I was only trying to make it to Laayoune. Either way, each windswept miles seemed like an affront to me.

Gladly, we finally made it to Laayoune. The town itself is actually quite pleasant. It really isn't much different from the other towns I have been to. I guess it just seems more tropical and fun. I think there is also big tourist influence here. (It is also the first place I have seen UN vehicles driving around.)

As I was riding in, a guy in a car rolled by and, in perfect English, apologized for the wind. He said it was quite unexpected. I had heard that the winds in this area go south. So I guess the misery of the last few days is just a freak occurrence.

I got myself checked into a hotel and took a badly needed shower. It felt so good. Getting rid of the sand, sweat and grime. I met up with Jose for dinner, we had a good time. I still have a hard time communicating with him, but it was good. I guess he doesn't have a visa for Mauritania. So I think he is going to try and get a plane to Senagal. For me, I am going to take a bus tomorrow.

I know, I could say it is because the desert really isn't my style. I could mention that I wanted to see sand dunes as far as the eye could see, but now realize they don't build roads through that part of the desert. I could tell you I just had my eyes fixed and don't want to have the sand now scrape up my new corneas. I could complain that the sun isn't helping my helmet tan. Or I could say it is because the roads are dangerous. The truth is, the last couple of days have been awful. It has been a grind, and in that way it felt like work. This is exactly what I wanted to get away from. I didn't come out here to be miserable. I don't need to continue because of some vague concept of purity, or an absurd sense of completion. Taking a bus is cheating, and I will cop to that. I just don't see one reason to be unhappy when I can help it. So I am on a bus.

Plus, I am quite ready to be out of Morocco and on to the next country. I have a limited time here in Africa. I have to be back in August. So no reason to squander ten more days in this wasteland. I just have to figure out how to do it. I guess there is a bus down to Dakhla. From there the guy at the bus station said the transport is "Land Rover". So we will see how that goes.

-Dravis

No comments:

Post a Comment