Friday, February 12, 2010

Nouakchott - Day 173

Date: February 7th, 2010
Distance: None
Song of the Day: Up on the Roof - The Get Up Kids

Today my mission was to find the embassy for The Gambia. (I don't know why it isn't just Gambia. Are there other sub-Gambias out there?) If I want to go there, I will need a visa. So I might as well get that now. I looked online, and I found a place that said they had an embassy here, but not the location. It took a little doing to find. Like I said, there isn't much in the way of street names here. I found where most of the other embassies were, but I didn't see it. I inquired in at the embassy for Senegal, and they directed me there. All told it was about a 3km walk from the Auberge.

The staff at the Gambian embassy were great. Very helpful and everyone there wanted to welcome me to their country. I am excited to go. I was told the that deputy liked to talk with all visa applicants, but he had stepped out to lunch. So I would have to come back later.

That was fine. The previous evening Natalie had invited me to lunch anyway. She took me to this tiny place that a friend of hers owned. It was a bit of a hole in the wall. Literally. No sign. Just a wall with a door in it. Inside the door was a little courtyard with some tables to eat at. They didn't have a menu, you got what was cooking. Then again what was cooking was great. For about two bucks I got a plate of rice, fish and some steamed veggies. Plus all the ice water and juice drink you could want. (I don't know what the drink is. But it is red and you can find people selling it in the street all over.) They even had a turtle wandering around.

After that I said goodbye to Natalie and her friend and headed back to the hotel. When I got there, my friend Jonathan was working on his tent. I guess the wind had broken one of the poles. So I helped him figure out a way to get it working again. By the time I got back to the embassy though, the deputy had gone home for the day. Okay, I will just come back tomorrow.

-Dravis

No comments:

Post a Comment