Sunday, February 28, 2010

Toubakuta to Bakau - Day 187

Date: February 21st, 2010
Distance: 61km plus ferry!
Country:The Gambia
Song of the Day: Move On - The Rentals

I left Toubakuta late in the morning. Really late. Okay, in the afternoon really. But I was feeling good and it was only 25km to the boarder.

The border was crazy. People are everywhere and nobody official seemed to know what to do. Of course everyone wants to help you out. My best advice, ignore them. I found the customs office and waited for a while. Eventually I learned that a) they were on a lunch break and b) I didn't need to see them because I didn't have anything from Senegal. So I went to immigration. No problems there.

Before I switched countries I did change money. I even haggled for a better deal. I think the lady was hoping to make a little profit on me not being able to count though. She shorted me 300 Dalasis, or about 12 bucks. I called her on it and she coughed up the dough. Count everything.

On the Gambian side, I had trouble with a guy at immigration. I don't know what his deal was but he started grilling me about everything. What are you doing? Why are you here? Are you working? I didn't feel bad because I still had the card of the Deputy Ambassador I met in Nouachott. I felt like everything would get straightened out. Finally he seemed like he was tired of harassing me and told me to go to the immigration officer. What? It turns out he was from the port authority. I haven't a clue what his deal was. Just being a jerk I guess. After that the guys at immigration were friendly and let me go. I was officially in The Gambia. Country 15.

The cycle down to Barra was pretty short. I did stop to buy a ferry ticket to Banjul. They guys at the ticket office were pretty impressed with my trip. It is starting to feel like I am doing something special.

I was able to get onto the ferry with no problems. It was just crammed with cars and people. Also, horribly slow. It is only a couple of kilometers, but it took about an hour to cross the river. I guess the ferry only goes about walking pace.

Once in Banjul, the taxis outside the terminal were waiting like vultures. I was riding my fully loaded bike and was still getting calls. "Taxi, Taxi! My friend, you need a taxi?" I turned around and told one guy that I had a bike and why would I need a taxi? He just shrugged, as if to say, it was worth a try.

I rode out to Bakau, which is a more touristy area. I had heard there were some good cheap places to stay out there. If there were, I didn't find them. I did find a place to stay, and they did make me a deal. So it will work for tonight. Tomorrow I will find a new place to stay. I did go out and find some cheep street food. A chicken drumstick, and spaghetti (with mayonnaise) for 25 Dalasis. Not bad. Even the mayo was kinda good on it.

-Dravis

No comments:

Post a Comment