Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Mkate to Tanga - Day 338

Date: July 22nd, 2010
Distance: 25km (Plus cheating by truck.)
Country: Tanzania

I ran out of gas just around noon. I guess not having more than a few pieces of bread over the last two days will leave you out of energy. So I took a truck to Segenda, which is the turn off to Tanga. The area was really pretty. I wish I felt good enough to ride it. Lots of low rolling hills. It also seems like this area is the breadbasket of Tanzania. The whole area seems to be covered with farms. This isn't like the open Savana I had come from. The land is getting greener again. I like it.

When we got to Segenda, I hopped out of the truck and thanked the driver. Stupid me, I forget my camelback (which, more importantly/expensively has my cameras in it, in the cab of the truck. Sometimes the bright light of the universe smiles on you though. For some reason the driver had given me his phone number. So I called him up, and he said he woudl be back through as soon as he dropped the load off. He wasn't very good at communicating when that was. So I had to sit around all afternoon.

I did strike up a conversation with a nice local kid named Alex. I guess he works in Zanzibar on and off as a tour guide. So he was able to give me some tips about that. He also gave me the number of a friend in Tanga. He even bought me a bowl of chicken soup, that was excellent. I should have gotten about 3 more. It was good to have some food.

When the truck finally showed up, and I got my stuff back, I was now ready to start going to Tanga. It took a while before another truck came along. I got into Tanga. Found a good place to stay and went to bed. Hell of a day.

-Dravis

No comments:

Post a Comment