Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Millelani to Mazeras - Day 343

Date: July 27th, 2010
Distance: 90km
Country: Kenya

Another great morning to be riding along the coast. More tail winds too. I can't get enough of that. I love that I can just fly down the road. Woosh!

It was only 50km to Mombassa, which actually messed me up a bit. I wanted to stop before then and check out the beach. That was supposed to by my lunchtime treat. I heard the beaches south of Mombassa are really nice. There are tons of beach-side hotels all along the way, so somebody must think so. Again, stupid me for asking distances. The bus driver I asked was off by 10 kilometers. So the beach I went to wasn't all nice and sandy. It was rocky, like an old reef. Not all that great for swimming. Still, I did hop in and do my best. It was nice to get in and splash around in the hot afternoon for a bit. Plus, I can now say I have been swimming in 3 of the 4 oceans. (The Arctic might be a little tough.)

I did also spend some time cranking myself around Mombassa. It is kind of a cool city. An island in the Indian ocean. Architecturally it is neat to look around. Lots of Arabic influences, so it reminded me a bit of Morocco. The "Old Town" part of the city was cool too, with more of a European influence. There was something to it as well. I had this feeling that it was a neat place to be. I had some ice cream as well, from a cart. Don't bother, it isn't that good.

I thought about staying, but I really need to put some miles behind me. After only a couple of hours in the city, I was back on the road. I only made it about 20km out of the city. Good enough for me. It will make tomorrow that much shorter.

-Dravis

No comments:

Post a Comment