Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Mazeras to Voi - Day 344

Date: July 28th, 2010
Distance: 137km
Country: Kenya
Song of the Day: Lorenzo - Phil Collins

I started the day riding over low rolling hills on a high plateau. It really reminded me of central Washington. Scrub land as far as I could see. With the tail wind, I was making great time. Lots of fun.

Around lunchtime the wind switched on me. Coming from the side. The land around me changed as well and became much more like classic African savanna. Acacia trees and dry grass sprouting in patches from the red earth. With the blue skies and white clouds overhead, it was amazing. There are some moments I wish I could bottle and bring with me. I guess my fuzzy memories and a few pictures will have to do.

Speaking of the sun, man that just burns into you here. Even with 4 coats of sunscreen I was still getting a bit of a sunburn. In the afternoon though the clouds rolled in, and that helped a lot. The wind came back and was pushing me toward Voi. That was the best part of the day. With the smooth roads and tail wind I was able to "super-cruise". I figure that is any time I can sustain 30kph or more. Feels great.

-Dravis

No comments:

Post a Comment