Thursday, August 13, 2009

Wheel Disaster

So, the very expensive and basically bombproof wheels I had built up, were the wrong size. I had asked for the Mavic XM 719, which is a 26" mtb rim. The shop ordered and built up the wheels with Mavic A 719 rims, which are 700c road rims. Now I have to scramble to get some new ones. Urgh. I wished I had checked this yesterday. It also sucks becuase I am sure the guys did a really nice job. Those wheels are basically indestructable. They are 36 spoke double eyelet wheels. Something that can take a lot of weight for a long time. Basically what I want for a touring bike.

The shop is trying to make it right. They did offer me a set of slightly used XTRs. These are great wheels for going down trails and stuff and probably cost about twice what I paid for mine. But still the wheels only have 24 spokes on the back, and 20 on the front. I don't need the weight savings of a couple less spokes. I do need to know that these wheels will last a long time with all the weight. So is like being offered a Ferrari when you bought a truck. It is a great deal, but it doesn't really help me.

So they are a calling arround to see if they can get some parts in time to get a new set of wheels built up. So we will see what happens.

From all the stuff I have learned while rebuilding my bike, people talk about touring a lot, yet the don't make high end equipment for it. The high end stuff is all about being lighter and faster. New alloys, hollow parts, that kind of stuff. It is for racing, because everyone wants to be Lance. The focus is on weight and speed, not on reliability. This is what the manufactures use as a goal for their high end parts. Make something that gets on the winning bike. The weight savings comes at a cost in both price and durability. The parts are probably reliable enough, but they are made with the idea that you can get replacement parts. On the Tour everyone has a truck following behind them full of components. So if you trash a couple of spokes you get a new wheel. If you break a chainring, they replace it. But they aren't made for a solo world tour. So if you are looking for a touring bike, don't try and find the highest end. Go for the stuff that is in the low-middle area. I think you will find it heavier, cheaper and more reliable.

-Dravis

1 comment:

  1. It looks like they still haven't heard back about the 719 rims. They do have some 319 rims, not double eyeleted, and pinned not welded, but I will take it. Still a fairly bombproof rim, and I am sure that will get me around the world. So they should be ready by Sunday or Monday. Not in time for the ride this weekend. So I will have to use my old ones. Oh well, at least the crisis for now is averted.

    ReplyDelete