Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Jackson to Seattle - Road Trip Day 15

I woke up about an hour before the other guys. I had slept great. I figured out how to get warm in my sleeping bag even though it is only rated to 45 degrees. You have to mummy up, even if you aren't cold to begin with. The problem is if you don't all the heat will escape and you will wake up cold in the middle of the night. I had just my face sticking out, and was warm all night.

Once the guys got up, we broke camp and drove on to Grand Teton. I guess I have to say that I wasn't all that impressed. Not that it wasn't a cool park, but I had been used to big mountains. I think it would have been a lot more fun to hike around in. It just isn't something you can experience on the drive through it.

From there we went to Yellowstone and did the whirlwind tour. Now Yellowstone is something you can see while driving around. Then again, it would still be so much better to spend weeks there hiking, biking and camping. But since we had to get back, the whirlwind tour would have to do.

Yeah, I did the tourist thing. Got a video of Old Faithful. Took pictures of river canyons. Saw the paint pots bubbling. Stared at the deep blues in the hot spring pools. In my defense you just can't go through without being awestruck with the scenery around you. So I have some pictures and videos and will try to post them.

It was also interesting to see the dead stalks of lodgepole pines from the 1988 wildfires. In some places vast areas were covered in these skinny headstones. Yet, underneath it all were young pines that had grown up in the last 20 years. Good for the NPS for letting the dead trees stand where they burned. It make a wonderful expression for rebirth and regrowth.

The best parts were getting out and interacting with nature. No, not hugging a tree. First we went swimming in Firehole river. There were a bunch of people around. Badger and I shot the rapids a couple of times. Not that they were much more than a strong current. We also gave some advice to a mom who was shooting the rapids with her 4 year old daughter. Way to go mom! (For those of you who were worried, they were both wearing life vests.)

From there we drove to Mommoth Hot Springs. But taking a dip in the springs was off limits. Probably a good idea, since the watet would probably kill you... Instead we went down to Boiling River. The hot water comes to the surface only about 20 feet from the Gardener River and flows into it. You can't swim in the Boiling River (for obvious reasons). You can get into the Gardener River where the warm water cascades into the cooler river below. Though it is disconcerting to be hit with alternate waves of hot and cold water. It was a good way to cap the trip. Sitting in river and hot spring looking out at the amazing landscape an setting sky.

From there it was just a long jaunt home, mostly in the dark. I do have to say Montana is big. It is also great to be home. I am looking forward to sleeping in my own be tonight.

Now I have to get ready for the Rock'n Horse on Saturday!

-Dravis

No comments:

Post a Comment