Thursday, August 27, 2009

London - Day 8

Date: August 26th, 2009
Distance: 16 miles
Country: England

Nothing really interesting happened today. I didn't do anything cool.

I rode from the motel outside of Heathrow, to downtown London. This was about 16 miles. Once I got there, I still hadn't a clue what I was doing. First thing was to get a phone. I hate to say it, but they are really nice to have. Plus the payphones are expensive and unreliable. I was just going to get a SIM card for my old phone. It was unlocked and everything. The only problem was that it apparently didn't have the right frequency bands. So I had to get another one. I wanted just a cheap used one. After shopping (and haggling) I was able to get one for about $50 with SIM card. Now I had a phone.

The next step was to find a place to stay. I camped out in a park and got some wi-fi to find a hostel. I ended up getting a place near the British Museum. That was about $20 a night for a room with (up to) 21 others. The beds were stacked three high, but was kind of a nice place. After that it was off to Leicester Square to find some food. While there I was again on the wi-fi, so that is where the rash of posts came from.

Then it was back to the hostel. Ended up watching TV and talking religion with a couple of the kids at the hostel and a guy in training to be a minister. The minister in training and his girlfriend had apparently taken their undergrad work at TCU. Which is where my uncle teaches. Small world. Anyway, it was fun talking about the bible and the history of the bible with people who were actually interested.

After that it was bed time for me. Sadly the dorm was really hot. So I lay on the bunk for a long time trying to get to sleep.

-Dravis

No comments:

Post a Comment