Thursday, August 20, 2009

Iceland Ho! - Keflavik to Hveragerði - Day 1

World Tour - Day 1
So the flight in was nice, with one major exception. I was getting copies of my credit cards, and of course forgot them in the copier. So now I am here with just a little bit of cash. So far it is going pretty well. Getting around by bike is actually pretty cheap.


Keflavik to Hveragerði
Time: 11 hours
Date: August 19th, 2009
Distance: 115km
Country: Iceland
Song of the Day: Downtown Sundown - Thin Lizzy (Because Phil knows.)

The bike ride was long. The countryside around Iceland is amazing, and like almost nothing I have ever seen. In places there are mossy rocks off to the horizon. It is also pretty barren. No trees, and in a lot of places not much else. There are a few small towns around, which so far have been nice. Occasionally you see sheep grazing near the roads. It rained about mid-afternoon, so that didn´t help. I don´t mind being cold, but the wet was annoying. I was glad to have the waterproof panniers. But as I mentioned earlier, the ride was long. I left at 10:00AM and didn´t get to the Hveragerði until 9:00. The last hill outside of town nearly killed me. As I was rolling into town I had to keep from falling asleep. I stopped for some food and was so tired I could barely eat it. Also had an interesting conversation with a local who kept talking about the Catholic church starting a civil war in Iceland. I think he was drunk. It is harder to tell if someone is drunk when they don´t quite understand English anyway. After I finished eating, I went to the tjaldsvæði (campsite). The place was nice and they had warm showers, which was just what I needed. After that I went right to bed.

-Dravis

1 comment:

  1. sitting here listening to your dad play bass to free fallin'...just thought it was quite appropriate to listen too while reading your blog. nice to be free from that which binds you - like possessions and investments...enjoy the freedom and dont push yourself too hard. remember were all with you.

    ReplyDelete