Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Sad news from Goma

Yesterday the rebel group M23 took control of the town of Goma in the Democratic Republic of Congo. This is a place I have been to when I went to climb the Nyiragongo volcano. It looks like the town was taken without much of a fight. Which in a way is a good thing. The civilian population of the city was largely spared. That doesn't mean that people were killed or injured however.

Even worse it means more instability in that part of DRC. The government in Kinshasa is far away and in recent years has been increasingly ineffective. I am not sure that the rebel forces holding the town will be any better. Especially considering the leaders of the group are wanted for war crimes. The rebel group is associated with and possibly supported by the government of Rwanda. This attack is similar to what happened 15 years ago which led to the First and Second Congo wars.

I am sad for the people in eastern Congo, because it looks like they will have more years of bloodshed and starvation to endure.

1 comment:

  1. I guess the rebels have now left of the city. I hope this is a good sign for the city and the people I am still worried that fighting will continue. I am fairly certain government neglect and abuse will continue.

    ReplyDelete